Layette set for newborn baby and mum [LIST]
The quickly approaching due date is an exciting time for parents-to-be – soon they will welcome their sweet baby in the world. It is no surprise then that this important moment requires careful preparations well spread out in time. One of the most important steps is to complete a layette set. What will the future mum and her baby need?
What’s in a layette? Here’s the list.
Making a baby layette is one of the greatest pleasures that await parents-to-be, but at the same time choosing the right items can be a challenge. It is a good idea to prepare a shopping list that will help you approach the subject with reason. You can make the list even several months before the due date, and the shopping itself – around 4-5 weeks before the estimated delivery date.
A baby layette should be completed with reason. Avoid unnecessary gadgets or toys – there will be time for that later. Focus on basic essentials such as diapers, clothes and baby care products. Don’t forget about personal items. It is a good idea to pack two hospital bags – one for the mum and one for the baby.
New mum’s essentials
New mum’s hospital essentials should include a set of documents, test results as well as clothes and accessories required at the time of labour and after delivery. Remember that you don’t have to bring everything along – you can prepare some essentials at home and leave it for your partner or family to pick up whenever necessary.
- ID card, medical record book
- Proof of insurance, maternity record
- Test results (blood type, ultrasound, bloodwork, HBs, WR, urinalysis)
- Tax identification number of your employer
- Hospital referral (not required)
- 1-2 long nightgowns, dressing gown, warm socks, slippers
- Cotton T-shirt (for labour)
- Cotton handkerchief or diaper (for wiping away sweat and making a compress)
- Extra-large pads
- Hair tie, lip balm for dry lips
- Several bottles of natural mineral water
- 2 button-up shirts (for nursing)
- Several pairs of disposable knickers
- 2 towels (ideally in dark colours), toiletries
- Shower shoes, toiletries, cosmetics
- Nursing bra, breast pads, nipple cream
- Disposable diapers
- Going-home outfit
Layette set for newborn baby
A layette set for newborn baby should include items for a three-day stay in the hospital. Don’t forget about a set of clothes relative to the season – they should be washed beforehand. You should use a delicate hypoallergenic laundry detergent designed especially for baby’s sensitive skin e.g. JELP Classic or Color Classic. Find out if there are any items you will be given at your hospital – it might so happen that the only thing your baby will need will be a going-home outfit and a set of baby care products.
- 3 cotton T-shirts
- 3 sleeveless rompers or coveralls
- 2 hats
- Sleeping bag, wrapper or blanket
- 2-3 pairs of socks (for hands and feet)
- Jacket or all-in-ones
- Button-up sweater or jumper
- Going-home outfit
- 2 packs of smallest size disposable diapers
- 10 cotton cloth diapers
- Hooded towel
- Bath wash, baby oil, diaper rash cream
- Baby wet wipes, e.g. JELP wipes
- Sterile gauze pads and 70% spirit for cleaning baby’s belly button
- Nasal aspirator
Many parents ask themselves how much they will need to spend on a layette set. Although it all depends on the quality and quantity of selected products, the average cost of mum’s and baby’s essentials is PLN 500-700. You can shop online in e-stores or on auction websites, but before you actually buy anything check shipping costs and product reviews.